Week 3: Learning Design I + Learning Design II

After reading, learning, and conducting my own research during this period, I am most impressed by direct instruction, experiential learning, and cooperative learning. At the same time, these three learning methods are also the ones I use most frequently in my daily learning.

Firstly, direct instruction refers to the use of explicit teaching methods to teach students specific skills. In this approach, the teacher plays a central role, often standing at the front of the classroom to deliver information. This approach has been an important part of my learning experience. Additionally, direct instruction is a very fast and effective way to transfer knowledge. However, in this method of learning, students may lack the opportunity to develop their own ideas. They may become passive recipients of information rather than active participants in the learning process. As a result, critical thinking and creativity may not be cultivated effectively as compared to more interactive or student-centered learning methods.

Experiential learning involves the acquisition of knowledge through direct experience. By engaging students in practical activities and subsequent reflection, they can more effectively connect classroom theory and knowledge to real-world applications. In my opinion, this way of learning is the most effective one, because only through one’s own experience can one remember the knowledge better. At the same time, through some daily practice, we can also get more relevant thinking. For example, I once took an astronomy class where the professor often studied by having us observe the sky on our own at night. However, experiential learning may take longer to apply what we’ve learned to your life, as some knowledge is difficult to relate to real-life situations. Nevertheless, knowledge gained through experiential learning tends to be retained for a very long time.

Cooperative learning mainly requires students to work together in a group to achieve a common goal or complete a group assignment. This learning style can help students quickly understand different aspects of related knowledge points. Through group work and discussion, students can usually get a more comprehensive answer. In addition, cooperative learning improves students’ communication skills, teamwork, and empathy as they learn to listen to different points of view and the need to work toward a common goal with their group members. Moreover, it helps to create a supportive learning environment where students are more willing to share ideas and increase their motivation to learn.

2 Responses

• Hello George,

The point you made about direct instruction creating passive learners resonated with me. That form of learning is the type I have experienced most in my educational pursuits and would describe my education as that– passive. I am embarrassed to say that for the bulk of my schooling, I have found myself buried under stacks of flashcards, trying to memorize endless details without ever considering the significance that lay behind them. I wonder if the reason that this form of education thrives in university settings is due to the bulk amount of material that is expected to be taught in such a short period of time. For example, classes such as psychology or biology expect students to understand just short of 500-750 definitions per course. It is possible that the professors who develop the courses may see this as the easiest way for students to learn that much in just 13 weeks, or have only experienced this approach to learning previously.

I really appreciate the fact that you touched on three different approaches to learning in this post. Every learner is so unique, each finding strengths and success in different approaches and I loved that you described what that could look like in each learning strategy. The best type of teaching is the one that combines learning strategies to allow students with differing strengths and weaknesses to find success.

thank you for your post this week, I enjoyed reading it!

• Hi George, I totally agree with how we can use multiple learning environments. However, I lean more towards cooperative learning and experimental learning. In my opinion, I feel like direct learning is quite boring and we cannot have students sitting for an hour just to listen our lecture. Direct learning may be beneficial in the long term but we should prioritize more engaging methods for example involving all the students. I hope to hear more from others and finalize our plan.